Monday, March 25, 2013

And starring Greg Evigan as BJ McKay and his best friend Bear! Right after Fall Guy!



For starters, I apologize for the formatting. A lot of different tech toys are being employed across state lines to get these cables out--I think ship to ship semaphore gets used once--and the time it'd take to smooth it isn't worth it. So these flaws are not proof of any failing health or mind...Ok, so we'll start there in a nice snarky place, and we'll end there also. In between there could be some...dips.For instance, while there were no drones involved,I didn't make it out of the hospital. Pretty much as I was signing the discharge papers I spiked a fever. I stayed at or near febrile but didn't feel horrible. Friday night I convinced N to go home and sleep, partially so that she could be there to let in her mother, who was coming into the city nice and early to clean our place. Along with an impressive masters degree and a distinguished teaching career, the woman can clean. Innate or installed, she makes the Scrubbing Bubbles look about as insubstantial as they really are. When N and I were first dating, we'd go out with her mom and I'd get this strange tinnitus-y sensation. I'd lean over and ask N about it and she'd say "that's the sounds of millions of grime molecules suddenly crying out in terror, and then being suddenly silenced."

The Force is strong in this one. Anyway, while N is sleeping and Sheila Dirt-Slayer is heading in, my mind is closing down shop. I awaken sometime in the morning immediately aware that something is very very wrong. I'm in an unfamiliar room, and my head is not blurry as much as shaken, like what had been a hunk of meat in my skull had become three fistfuls gravel. Things start to solidify more as I lie there. Because I'm sick. Very sick. Not the this-hurts kind but the urn-of-ashes kind. I'm lying flat but it feels like my feet are higher because my head is too full, but what it's full of is mostly a mystery to me. Almost everything is a mystery to me. Mostly: me. I start to panic.

I should tell her. Who? Her. Who? The one, my rest of my life, the breakfast and nighttimeand couch and driving and Who she has hair that Who if I need Who something I'll Who defend I Who love Who I'll Who miss will be Who so sad if I go away I'll Who be so sad Who I'll be Who she is Who am I? Morning is coming but it's getting dark. I think my eyes are rolling like a scared horse. I have lost her. I have lost N. I have lost almost everythingbut I'm fixating on her. Because she is where I go in crisis, or where I go first.

There will friends and loved ones I'll worry about losing soon enough. But my mind is pulling back from me like I repulse it, so I can't even get past the first thing I need, which is what I need most. Strangely, larger muscle knowledge and basic knowledge is intact, so I swoon around in thebed until I can find my phone. She'll be in there. I guess it was still so early that I  knew not to call, but in trying to text I deleted every text I had saved, ever, from anyone (which isn't much as I clean sweep a lot, but still, I didn't mean to). I sort of snap out of panic into a moment of clarity that I am about to delete all my contacts, and it brings greater clarity and great terror. First the confusion and then the realization and then the search for her: it's the rabbit hole. I have always hated that metaphor because it is overused and because I'm in union politics so it happens a lot. But it is  apt in this case.

I'm tunneling further and further into one bit of the fear, to the exclusion of the other juicy terror I could be enjoying. But I need clarity, and I need to not flail pursuing it.That moment of seeing the possible delete of contacts was also apt: if I fuck up whatever meager brain efforts I have, I could be alone. And crazy. To me on the inside of this, it's as serious as a heart attack. I hold the phone, but don't go through anything. Just think. In a way it's easier because so much in my mind isnt accessible; it's like I only have maybe fifteen blocks to arrange in a vast black space. But imagine each block weighs eleven tons, and is either screaming,inhaling like a storm, or crying.

Favorites! I know there's some sorta favorites thingy somewhere. She'll be there! I check the phone, find that, indeed, the actual phone part has favorites, and I see her name. Andthe block that was inhaling stops, because it was sucking the universe through its baleen,sifting for that, and that alone. I'm crying. I still think it's too early to call. NOW I'm polite. Using the info, I go text her. I send one. I think it says what needs saying.  s n k

She asked me later, when I was partially back, if I had meant I wanted a snack, and I saidI had wanted her to know snakes were bad. Which proved I was only partially back because snakes kick ass and I have cared for them through long happy portions of my life. Ok, so that text goes off and I get another clarity bomb. Whatever the hell you thought, that last text was nonsensical at best. You send another like that and you may kill her with panic and stress, which is even more impolite than waking her up. I work for at least half an hour on the next one, and I force myself to stop and look away and close my eyes and breathe and look back, and that helps a lot because 8 out of 10 times the word I thought went down there wasn't even close. And it's all blown by the wind of Death's scythe. I'm not saying I'm dying, I'm pretty sure I'm as able bodied as whatever, but my mind is going. It is just that the image of Death's scythe makes sense here. It's this almost comically enormous blade and because Death's a ghoul his slashes pass right through, just tearing out bits of soul and memory and warmth. There is a universe-weighted-nothing imbuing that scythe, it's like he's wielding the event horizon of a black hole, and with Poe-pendulum regularity his storm  of theft is cutting through this one huddled man, clutching a phone like madmen clutch their plastic bags as they mumble. I've deleted it, maybe out of shame but I've been blurry long since I came back. Maybe N has it. At the end of the half hour:

Hello love. I like of freaked out. I'm scared. Please come up. It'll be ok. I get that sent.

Also around now I'm either clear enough to remember that there are staff and a call button hanging off my bed for exactly times like this, and so there is a staff person in my room. This almost doesn't help because I only know this is a human sent to help me, but I can't make myself understood. Hearing how vastly disparate what I want to say and what's coming out of my mouth are is ripping parts of me away from me. And my memory could be flawed, I could have been even less lucid. These are professionals though and so the person, I think a woman, either calls for someone appropriate or stays herself, and just talks me down and does what she can. And she sees the phone in my sweaty, platelet-free hand, and she helps me find N, and either overrules my earliness argument, or she doesn't know what the fuck I'm saying, or something, and the phone is ringing and I hear her voice and the floor drops out because there it is: contact. A realness, an actual, a goddamn thing that I knew was out there and now here it is. But the floor drops too because now that I made it past the first quest, the next dragon rears: I am so, so, scared. Of nothing.

When N physically gets to the hospital soon thereafter, there is a moment I wouldn't put in a movie because it's just too cliche. I see her and she holds me and I'm overjoyed and also so so scared because I know that I found her but that also she's the only thing I've found and I'm not stupid enough to think there isn't a lot more to be found and where did it go, and she's holding me and glad she got me back but just as worried: is this all of me that's coming? Seeing her calms me enough to handle morning hygiene and the like. I know I am somehow saving this experience--I'm sure I didn't know I was blogging because I'd have found the fucker and gotten up to speed, though I doubt I could read then. But the inner lizard brain I have is an actor, so I know I'm documenting. I'm halfway through my toilette and I start to swirl and spiral and it gets bad, and I take a picture. This is the first time I have ever questioned using a pic. I'll show you harpoons in my back and trepidation and meat-stippled ports, but psychic violence is, I  don't know, deeper. Maybe it's a guy thing and I'm just ashamed. But I think it is also that I know there are eyes reading this that care, and I don't want to hurt anyone.The refrain I'm saying, over and over and over, in this photo moment, is: "I'm so scared I'm so scared I'm so scared."




I'll compress now. Over the next three-ish days I undergo almost every test they have, usually around midnight because in a fully functioning hospital with a fully functioning ER, you are rarely as important as the 'this guy gets this test or he dies' patient. I'll be honest and say I resented the wait anyway, but I understood it. Except the head CT. We got to know a certain neurological resident (natch) pretty well, and our introduction to her led to one of the few amusing moments: we needed the sign-off of her one-year-younger superior, who was apparently a stickler ( I wouldn't put this in the movie either: she had a German accent) the medical team worked in a lovely harmony of half-truths and heightened aspects and downplayed aspects to present me as exactly the kind of case that needed top-code 'possible stroke' but not interesting enough that the superior wanted to attend the CT which would put me at the back of her schedule. All boxes checked and off to the one test that did not suck from beginning to end. They used the stroke code to get me in early, but they were not pulling from thin air. I was muy broken, as they say. I'm sad to have missed it because apparently I have an eloquence even sans lucidity. In my answers to their questions, when I wasn't making sense, I was often either threading together lovely strings of words, or bending the few words I did have around and around to actually get a semblance of an answer out. The Night PA said that right at the start when I was farthest away I said some lovely things. Blather, but lovely. But I was busted. I remember certain passages with brutal clarity, and the rest is like cartwheeling down the midway of the state fair and randomly opening your eyes every once in a while--vastly full, overfull images, canted at all angles, some bright, some full of choking kicked dust, some horrific, or out of place, and a few dizzy patches of river, and sky.Because that kind of blank-out is clearly neurological, they got the neuro trick pony tests out a lot. There were two kinds: the kinds I won, and the kinds I hated.The kinds I won were physical. These are designed mainly to test for balance in the system. Not like standing on one leg, but balance between the two sides. Never have I had so many different people request that I squeeze their finger without anyone involved farting--felt like such a waste. But I squeezed till they winced, pushed feet up, then down, puffed cheeks, raised and lowered legs, followed pen lights with my eyes, touched my nose then their moving-target fingers (that one was hard because they had a hard time getting me to understand the instructions: I just kept touching their fingers then waiting for them to touch my nose). The ones I lost, the ones that crushed me doubly and sometimes trebly, were word and number tests.'what's 100 minus 7? And again? And again? Then next one?''spell world. Now backwards' that one cracked me because it took me a few agonized minutes, N and random young doctors on rounds staring in polite uncomfortable silence, before I even realized that I could spell it forward and then say the last letter I said, then spell it forward and say the next to last etc etc etc. But that mental gymnastic was hard enough. And all of this coated in shame that's steeping in fear. Word games? Quick thinking? I have prided myself on an easy fast wit and a way with words for as long as I can remember: nature and nurture bring to bear on that one. And to have almost all of it crumbling like saltines before a chowder, and in front of people, was unbearable. Even as the worst of the blackout curtain was lifting.

But lift it did. My MRI was clear.

My CT-scan was clear. My EEG was clear. No stroke. No seizures. Normal brain waves. I got my general in/out lucidity back pretty quickly, then greater access to memory and capacity, then further from the worry that something had eaten holes in my brain. Because something had tried. Ara-C. As I said, this round is the Ara-C round, and they goddamn mean it. I got one hulking bag, like a bull scrotum of the crap every twelve hours, every day for four days at the start--with decadron to make sure it buried in nice and deep--plus each alternating week of my Ommaya skull taps were Ara-C. It's a bad channel, and it's all that's playing. Like congress.Nobody reacts well to Ara-C. My stepfather shares war stories with me about it, and the Drs all acknowledge it as one of the less friendly, but I really hate it. During my runs the first ten months of my first battle I had to self-inject it into my stomach, and even the softening effects of a more self-interested poke, as it were, did not stop me stumbling for a brief but bilious drive of the porcelain bus almost every time. And Ara-C crosses the blood brain barrier. Which makes it very useful in some ways and very dangerous in others. But everyone we trust on my team--and N was extra vigilant during rounds as well as both stealthy and forthright in single contact to suss out about every angle they'd give up--are fully confident it is entirely a side-effect of the Ara-C and that it is temporary and that that high level of Ara-C doesn't come around again. Maybe ever.

So, did I mention the good news: I have influenza!It actually is good news in many ways. As the blackout fears were just barely starting to wane I started up with a pattern of late afternoon to early evening fever spikes topping out in the middle of the night with searing spikes of 39.4--they go metric here but that's about 103 for us revolutionaries. And I have been laid out so much and not moving--often barely getting one lap in instead of the fifteen-lap mile I expect of myself--that I have a touch of pneumonia. Whaddaya get the guy who has everything, huh?But an intrepid PA thought the fact that I was having consistent 103 fevers but was staying lucid and not 'shake-n-bake' (as in lots of high-fever shiver and burn cycles). The PA thought maybe it was viral so she was kind enough to shove a stick up my nose and in two hours I had a nice flu result. The same strain that is in the flu vaccine, which I got this year. That should show you how stalwart a protector a less-than-point-one white count is: shit you're already safe from can hit you.But the viral angle answers a lot of the permanent fever questions, and I am always much more ready to endure something if I know its name. So even as the 103s kept rolling in, I was less hurt by them, and able to start fighting back. I started the second 4-day run of decadron that ends in a Vincristine and Rituximab twofer, and grudgingly admit the steroid has actually helped, fouling up my voice but giving me some strength back and pushing away the chemo induced food-hate that has me hovering at 141 pounds. During initial induction I bottomed at around 136-9, so I'm not carrying a lotta extra around.Though the steroids help me eat, everything I do eat tastes like a mildly off memory of the food plus a solid dose of the inside of a plastic bag. On the upside I have the river view and can watch the barges like a little boy again, things move forward with the official opening of my marrow search by the middle of this week, and my union health insurances seem to be coming through like gangbusters so far, taking at least one worry off the table--but not without the endless aid and tight overview of my mother and stepdad, who have been generously up all week, and N, who is within reach most hours of day and night, and keeping a hawkeye over everything. And a word here to the people starting marrow drives, and attending drives, and staying strong for me and thinking of us and and following and caring and all the human kindnesses: thank you.

But more. It is probably part male emotion shame, but I am my least eloquent when emoting out positively (maybe that should worry me). But, like many writers or tale tellers before I will fix that by brazenly lifting from better craftspeople. Warren Zevon's last album, 'The Wind' was produced while he knew cancer had won and he was headed off stage. He performed likely his best work,'Keep me in Your Heart' possibly one of the best songs ever, elegant like a spade in earth, warm and forward like dawn the day after a funeral. I'm not accepting any such goddamn thing, but I'm turning the lyrics around anyway. And the Quakers, not a band but a Society of Friends, under whose educational tenets I was raised for a decade, use the phrase 'to hold someone in the light' to indicate that you take energy from what you are doing and you place a person somewhere where good can get to them. Quakerism is about as Native as white religions get, it's touch is pretty gentle, and they educate the hell outta you.


So, to the rest of the not-huge but powerful list I thought I lost that vacuum-mind morning: I keep you in my heart, and I hold you in the light.

I will end on the kind of tight humour I prefer even as I ramble; it comes from a union colleague who heard I was laid up and sent it--please dear good god don't let this start the emails. This was a nice gesture, but leave us the hell alone.

OK: A dyslexic walks into a rab.
Good night, Holter